Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Most glorified, or least glorified?

"God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him."
- John Piper

It occurred to me that in this life, something is always being glorified by the outward expression of our thoughts and desires.

If we are overly focused, even obsessed, on earthly treasures and earthly fulfillment (which can also include a desire to make the lives of those closest to us more comfortable), we end up glorifying things that are not necessarily bad things, but they are not of eternal significance.

Like many of the "Blessed are ..." statements in the Bible, if we look at the converse of Piper's statement we reveal something that we should each be mindful of: "God is least glorified in us when we are least satisfied in Him."

As I continue to learn to find rest in Christ's finished work, and His sovereignty in all things, I learn to trust in His goodness and His care for His children. My prayer is that I will continue to more and more satisfied in Him, and that He will be more and more glorified in me, and that the spiritual outcome will be that God works through me to save more of His people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Anonymously you are less likely to have your comment approved, but providing at least a pseudonym will help track discussions that include Anonymous posts.